PH:(02) 9590 3987 | E:

Carer Visa

If you have a close relative who has a serious medical condition(s) and needs a lot of personal assistance, a Carer Visa might be the most suitable visa option for you.

This visa is a permanent residency visa. If the visa is granted, you will be entitled to the Carer’s Payment from Centrelink. Though any family members included in your application will generally have to wait two years to access Centrelink payments.

Eligibility Criteria

The following eligibility criteria apply to this visa:

1. Your Australian relative, the “Person Requiring Care” (PRC), must be usually resident in Australia and must sponsor you for migration to Australia.

2. You must be a close relative of the PRC, which is pretty much all familial relationships except cousins.

3. The PRC must have a long term medical condition that is likely to subsist for at least the next 2 years.

4. The PRC must achieve a set score on a certain health test and it must be found by the assessing health assessor that the medical condition(s) they have is causing physical, intellectual or sensory impairment of their ability to attend to the practical aspects of daily life, such as eating, dressing, hygiene and their ability of them move around.

5. The assistance the PRC needs must not be able to be reasonably provided by any other relative (excluding cousins) of the resident who is an Australian citizen or permanent resident, or a combination of such relatives.

6. The assistance the PRC needs must not be able to be reasonably obtained from welfare, hospital, nursing or community services in Australia.

7. The assistance the PRC needs must not be able to be obtained / provided through a combination of the above two sets of sources.

8. You must be willing and able to provide the PRC substantial and continuing assistance.

Where the application can be lodged

The Carer Visa can either be lodged in Australia or outside of Australia. If you lodge the visa in Australia, you will be granted a Bridging Visa which will allow you to remain in Australia lawfully whilst the visa application is being processed. You must be in Australia for the visa to be granted.

If you lodge the application outside of Australia, you must be outside of Australia for the visa to be granted.

Contact Us

As you can see, there are a lot of legal requirements to be granted a Carer Visa. These applications are particularly tough to get approved and it is highly recommended, even if you choose to use another firm, that you engage legal assistance if you are going to lodge a Carer Visa application.

Our experienced immigration lawyers have handled many successful applications for a Carer Visa. We will ensure your application is given the best prospects of success.

We offer all our prospective clients an initial meeting, during which we will thoroughly explain the law surrounding this visa to you and inform you of the process moving forward.

To organize a initial consultation with us, please contact one of our experienced immigration lawyers on (02) 9590 3987.