This visa is for people who want to have medical treatment or medical consultations in Australia. The visa is commonly used for people to come to Australia to undergo medical treatment, or by people in Australia who have suffered an injury that requires medical treatment and the visa they currently hold is expiring before the treatment is due to occur.
This visa may be right for you if you:
1. have a medical treatment plan or medical consultation in Australia;
2. are going to donate an organ to someone;
3. are coming with a patient or organ donor who is applying for this visa;
4. are going to receive an organ from someone who travels to Australia with you; or
5. are in Australia, and you are 50 years of age or older, and you have been refused a permanent visa on health grounds only.
In addition to the above criteria, you must:
1. satisfy certain financial, health and character requirements; and
2. not have a medical condition that could be a threat to public health in Australia.
To be granted this visa, you must prove that you have:
1. made arrangements for the payment of your medical treatment;
2. sufficient funds to pay for your cost of living while you are in Australia; and
3. sufficient funds to pay for the cost of you and anyone else who comes with you to Australia (e.g. an organ donor).
If you are being treated in a public hospital, you must obtain confirmation from the hospital that adequate payment arrangements have been made and your treatment will not prejudice access to medical care for Australians.
Where the application can be lodged
You can lodge an application for this visa inside or outside of Australia. If you lodge inside Australia, you will be granted a Bridging Visa that will allow you to stay in Australia lawfully until a decision is made on your application. You must also be in Australia for the visa to be granted.
If you lodge your application outside of Australia, you must be outside of Australia for the visa to be granted.
Our experienced immigration lawyers have handled many applications for Medical Treatment Visas. We will ensure your application is given the best prospects of success.
We offer all our prospective clients an initial meeting, during which we will thoroughly explain the law surrounding this visa to you and inform you of the process moving forward.
To organize a initial consultation with us, please contact one of our experienced immigration lawyers on (02) 9590 3987.