You might be able to get this visa if you:
- Are at least 18 but have not turned 31 years of age at the time you lodge your application.
- Have a passport from a country involved in the Work and Holiday program with Australia (see below).
- Will not have a dependent child with you while you are in Australia.
- Have enough money to support yourself on a working holiday.
- Have enough money to buy a return or onward travel ticket at the end of your stay.
- Have not previously entered Australia on a Working Holiday visa (Subclass 417).
- Meet character and health requirements.
- Are a genuine visitor.
- Meet certain educational requirements (see below).
- Have functional English (see below).
- Have a letter of support from your government (except applicants from Israel, China and the USA) (see below).
List of Eligible Passports
You can apply for this visa if you hold a passport from:
- China, People's Republic of
- Czech Republic
- Papua New Guinea (PNG)
- San Marino
- Slovak Republic
- United States of America
If you are from:
- Argentina, Bangladesh, the People’s Republic of China, Hungary, Indonesia, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Poland, Portugal, San Marino, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Spain, Türkiye, Uruguay or Vietnam, you must hold a tertiary qualification or have satisfactorily completed at least two years of undergraduate university study.
- Chile, you must hold a tertiary qualification or have satisfactorily completed or have been approved to do a third year of undergraduate university study.
- Israel, you must hold a secondary school (high school) qualification and have completed mandatory military service or be legally exempt from military service.
- Thailand, you must hold a diploma or degree qualification.
- United States of America, you must hold a secondary school (high school) qualification.
If you are applying for a first Work and Holiday visa, you must provide evidence that you have at least functional English. This is most commonly evidenced by providing an IELTS Test Result with a score of at least 4.5 in the four test components.
There are a range of other English language tests you can take to prove functional English which we can advise you of.
If you are a citizen of the USA your passport serves as evidence of your English language ability and you do not have to sit any English language tests.
Letter of Government Support
If you are applying for a first Work and Holiday visa, you must include a letter of support from your home government with your application. We can advise you of the relevant agency in your home country which you must obtain this letter from.
If you are from Israel, the People’s Republic of China or the United States of America, you do not have to provide a letter of government support.