This is a permanent visa that may be right for you if you have an educational background and/or work experience that is directly relevant to an occupation that is listed on the “Medium and Long-Term Strategic Skills List” (MLTSSL) or the “Short-Term Skilled Occupation List” (STSOL), which are accessible at the following address:
To be eligible for this visa, you must:
1. be nominated by an Australian State or Territory Government. Each State or Territory Government will only consider nominating you if you have an educational background and/or work experience that is relevant to an occupation on their State or Territory Skilled Occupation List. Each State and Territory has varying eligible occupations on their respective Skilled Occupation Lists which we can inform you of;
2. meet the pass mark in the skilled migration points test, which is currently 60 points. You can be awarded points for a number of factors, most commonly, your age, your educational qualifications, your work experience and your English language ability, though points are also awarded for a range of other factors. We can advise you as to whether you meet the Points test after an initial discussion with you;
3. be aged between 18 and 44 (inclusive);
4. nominate an occupation on the MLTSSL or STSOL;
5. pass a “Skills Assessment” in your nominated occupation with the relevant skills assessment authority;
6. sit an English language exam to show that you have “Competent” English or higher, meaning you must score 6.0 or more on all four components of the IELTS test, or an equivalent score on another English language test accepted by the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP); and
7. meet health and character requirements.
All applicants need to pass a skills assessment. The skills assessment authority which will assess your skills depends on what occupation you are applying under.
The eligibility criteria for each skills assessment authority is different. For the majority of skills assessment authorities, the assessment will be based on the applicant’s qualifications and work experience, though in some cases English language ability and registration in Australia is required.
The visa is by invitation only. You must first lodge an “Expression of Interest” with the DIBP and then be invited to apply for the visa by the DIBP after a State or Territory government has nominated you.
Where you can lodge an application
You can lodge the visa either inside or outside of Australia. If you lodge the application in Australia, you will be granted a Bridging Visa which will allow you to stay in Australia until your visa application is finalised. If you lodge your application in Australia, you must be in Australia for the visa to be granted.
If you lodge your application outside of Australia, you must be outside of Australia for the visa to be granted.
Our experienced immigration lawyers have handled many successful Skilled Nominated Visa applications. We will ensure your application is given the best prospects of success.
We offer all our prospective clients an initial meeting, during which we will thoroughly explain the law surrounding this visa to you and inform you of the process moving forward.
To organize a initial consultation with us, please contact one of our experienced immigration lawyers on (02) 9590 3987.