PH:(02) 9590 3987 | E:

Working Holiday Visa

If you are aged over 18 and under 31, this visa may be right for you if you want to work or study in Australia for up to 12 months.

This visa allows you to:

1. stay in Australia for up to 12 months;

2. work in Australia, generally for up to six months with each employer;

3. study for up to four months; and

4. leave and re-enter Australia any number of times while the visa is valid.

Eligibility Criteria – First Working Holiday Visa

You might be able to get your first Working Holiday Visa if you:

1. have not previously entered Australia on a Work and Holiday (Temporary) Visa;

2. hold a valid passport from a country involved in the Working Holiday Program with Australia (see below);

3. have turned 18 years of age but have not yet turned 31;

4. are a genuine visitor who wants to have a holiday in Australia;

5. have enough money to support yourself on a working holiday;

6. have enough money to buy a return or onward travel ticket at the end of your stay; and

7. will not be accompanied by dependent children at any time during your stay.

Countries involved in the Working Holiday Program

To apply for this visa, you must hold a passport from one of the following countries:

1. Belgium;

2. Canada;

3. Republic of Cyprus;

4. Denmark;

5. Estonia;

6. Finland;

7. France;

8. Germany;

9. Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People’s Republic of China;

10. Republic of Ireland;

11. Italy;

12. Japan;

13. Republic of Korea;

14. Malta;

15. Netherlands;

16. Norway;

17. Sweden;

18. Taiwan; or

19. United Kingdom.

Six Months with One Employer

You can generally only work six months with one employer. The six month work limitation applies to full-time, part-time, casual, shift and voluntary work. If you wish to apply for permission to work longer than six months with an employer, you need to apply for permission to do so. Such permission is only granted in limited circumstances.

Eligibility Criteria – Second Working Holiday Visa

You might be able to get your first Second Holiday Visa if you have:

1. complied with all the conditions on your first Working Holiday visa;

2. not previously held more than one Working Holiday visa;

3. completed three months of “specified work” (see below) in “regional Australia” (see below) while on your first Working Holiday visa; and

4. not yet turned 31 years of age.

Specified Work

To apply for a second Working Holiday visa, you must have already completed three months of specified work in regional Australia. This specified work must have been completed while on your first Working Holiday visa.

Approved industries for specified work include:

1. plant and animal cultivation;

2. fishing and pearling;

3. tree farming and felling;

4. mining; and/or 

There are many subcategories of work that fall under the five industry sectors mentioned above.

Some notable examples of specified work include:

1. picking fruits on an orchard;

2. feeding and herding cattle on a farm;

3. horse breeding and stud farming;

4. landscaping the grounds of a construction/house site;

5. painting the interior/exterior of new buildings;

6. conservation and environmental reforestation work;

7. zoo work involving plant or animal cultivation;

8. erecting fences on a construction site; and

We can advise you if the work you propose to do falls into the definition of specified work.

Three Months Work

Three months of specified work means three ‘calendar’ months or 88 days. It can be work from one employer or accumulated work from various employers. You will have to submit verifiable evidence of your specified work, such as:

1. pay slips;

2. group certificates;

3. payment summaries;

4. tax returns;

5. employer references;

6. a completed employment verification form signed by the applicants employer; and/or

7. original Australian bank statement covering the period of declared specified work.

Regional Australia

Your specified work must in regional Australia.

The ACT is not classified as part of regional Australia.

In NSW, everywhere except Sydney, Newcastle, the Central Coast and Wollongong is classified as regional Australia.

In Victoria, everywhere except the Melbourne Metropolitan area is classified as regional Australia.

In Queensland, everywhere except the Greater Brisbane Area and the Gold Coast is classified as regional Australia.

In Western Australia, everywhere except Perth and surrounding areas is classified as regional Australia.

All of the Northern Territory, South Australia, Tasmania are classified as Regional Australia.

Where the application can be lodged

You must be outside Australia when you apply for your first Working Holiday visa and when the visa is decided.

It is possible to lodge an application for a second Working Holiday Visa, in which case if you apply in Australia, you must be in Australia when the visa is granted. If you apply outside Australia, you must be outside Australia when the visa is granted

Contact Us

Our experienced immigration lawyers have handled many successful Working Holiday Visa applications. We will ensure your application is given the best prospects of success.

We offer all our prospective clients an initial meeting, during which we will thoroughly explain the law surrounding this visa to you and inform you of the process moving forward.

To organize a initial consultation with us, please contact one of our experienced immigration lawyers on (02) 9590 3987.